I did this project last night with the kids at church and they loved it! Yay!
I also love this project because the concept is so simple, with such cute possibilities.
Isn't it awesome to take something plain like a 2x4 piece of wood and turn it into something cute!
I think some of the parents would like sitting down and doing this project with me. :)
So, basically here's how it went:
My sweet husband cut my 2x4 into 3.5"x3.5" squares then I sanded the edges.
I took long staples from my staple gun and hammered one into the top of each block leaving about an 1/8" or so sticking up.
I started my block by drawing in pencil a horizon line and a stick tree. You can get creative and make different types of stick trees, just keep the lines simple. Add an irregular circle or oval around the area where the branches are.
Next, use watercolors to paint the grass and the circle area of the tree. Then paint the sides of the block.
I used my stamp pad (brown distressing ink) and rubbed it along the edges of my block.
When the watercolor is dry you can trace back over the pencil lines of your tree trunk and branches using a fine tip or ultra fine tip sharpie.
Since I didn't have any fall stamps I typed up several words and phrases on my computer in fancy fonts and printed them out on scrapbook paper. After I cut them out I distressed the edges by rubbing them across my black stamp ink pad. Choose a phrase and glue it to your block (or use a stamp or sticker)
Finally, thread your jute or ribbon through the part of the staple that is sticking up on the top of the block and tie a bow!
Voila, easy art block! Great for any season or occasion....oh, the possibilities!
My friend Jen and I had a girls day this week and we hit some great thrift shops, ate delicacies at a french market and had such a wonderful time hanging out and talking together.
I found this great shirt with beautiful fabric and for only $1.99 I couldn't resist buying it even though it was not my size. It was a Small and when I tried it on, well, let's just say a certain area was a bit...um, constricted.
So, I remembered a post I had pinned on Pinterest about altering t-shirts that were too tight (here) and decided to do something similar.
I grabbed some vintage embroidered lace trim from my basket.
I put two pieces together, overlapping the straight edge and zig zag stitched over them.
I pinned the lace trim to the shirt starting from under the arm and working all the way down.
Then I zig zag stitched over each side.
I folded the rough edges under and stitched under the arm so even though the shirt begins to angle out in a "v" shape under the arm the lace trim goes straight up and down the entire length.
I folded the bottom under and stitched across, then trimmed off the excess from the back.
Here is the finished shirt. I love how it fits now! What a great find, and an easy fix!I'm thinking I have a few other shirts hanging around in my closet that I can try this with, Yay!