Air Dry Clay: Tiny Houses and Ring Holders

Air dry clay is so easy to work with and the possibilities of things you can make with it are endless. It is more expensive than regular clay but you don't have to have access to a kiln to fire it and if you use a 40% off coupon at Michaels the price is not too bad for making quite a few of these small projects.

The first was a series of Tiny Houses.
I rolled out a slab of clay about a 1/4" thick and used a thin metal ruler to cut into a series of irregular rectangles and squares. Then I trimmed off the tops in lopsided triangular shapes to create the roof lines. Super simple right. :)

Then I took round black magnets (the strong ones you can get in packages at Hobby Lobby or other craft stores) and pushed them into the backs of the houses so they sunk about half way in. (*cool side note here: I thought I would probably have to add some glue after they dried overnight but because the clay shrinks slightly it tightened up around the magnets and they were securely in place, perfect!)

Using something with a small rectangular shape (the end of a letter stamp, popcicle stick, chop stick...whatever) I made various little window indentions.


Let it dry overnight. Then paint with acrylic paints. Seal with clear acrylic spray.
Easy peasy.

I love having these on my fridge like a little community all together. :)


Then came the Ring Holders.
Oh the variety of designs you could come up with on this one!!!

I started these again by rolling out a slab of air dry clay roughly about 1/4" thick.
You could use cookie cutters to make the basic shape (probably don't use them again for food though)

I also used random things like the lid from a plastic baby food container for the shape of the rectangle ones.
TIP: I saved a ton of these plastic containers and glass jars and I use them for water cups and paint mixing contaniners all the time.


You will either want a concave design to set rings in or make sure you have at least one piece that sticks up to hold you rings.

On the pieces that stick up:
  • be careful not to make them too thin or flimsy, don't want them to break too easily
  • use the traditional score and slip method of attaching for security (I used a toothpick to lightly scratch the bottom of the hand formed piece and the place it would attach to and then added a drop of water to each to help them stick better when I pressed them together)
The relief images and text were created by gently pressing a stamp into the clay after I rolled it out into a slab and before I cut it into the shape I was going to use.

To make the pieces concave: I gently pressed the finished piece as it set on the inside edges of either the rectangular baby food container or a small round condiment cup and then I left them sitting in that position to dry.

Let the pieces dry overnight.

Paint with acrylic paints. *Allow your stamped design to show more by gently dry brushing paint across the surface.

Spray with clear acrylic to seal.


I know these weren't super detailed with lots of pictures but I hope they at least maybe provide some inspiration for little projects you can create using air dry clay.

I know I would love to try different little trays and things with some of the fancy cookie cutter shapes I've seen lately (like one I saw that was a teapot).....what would you try?